Pages

Saturday 5 May 2012

Abercrombie and Fitch


So I went to Abercrombie and Fitch for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago. My friend was super excited about introducing me to it and kept asking if I could smell the perfume yet as we were walking down the road, but I was adamant that I could only detect the scent of mouldering vegetables that seems to permeate the backstreets of central London... it turns out I could in fact smell the perfume :S How the hell are they popular?

The building it was in was lovely, all classical stone architecture, wood panelling and wide, twisting stair cases, typical of Central London. I was actually rather sad that it was denied its grand purpose in favour of being a base to flog a bunch of overpriced t-shirts in a room so poorly lit that you can barely see what you’re paying for. Now I couldn’t care less about people spending extortionate amounts of money on fairly un-extraordinary clothes, if wasting their cash makes them happy then power to them, I’m not gonna go off on a rant about feeding the poor or donating to charity or any of that cliché bollocks, because at the end of the day, if you’ve got the money it’s yours to do with as you like.  I’m simply baffled by how these places get so hyped up. I could get nicer, more interesting clothing from most high-street stores, without having to pay extra for a desirable label or brand name. 

Apparently the promise of semi-naked men is a draw for many, although all the models I’ve seen outside any of their stores are total butter-faces (does that even work for guys? Buthis-face? Buttis-face? Whatever, they have alright bods and average everything else, swoon?) so I really don’t think they count as a legitimate reason to fumble about in the shadows amongst a crowd of squeeing girls who look at you weird if you’re not dressed to impress and ‘dancing’ staff who really just sway awkwardly in the corner and get in the way. 

Honestly, that does nothing for me. I'd rather be in a shop where the lights are bright enough to see by, the music quiet enough that I can actually hear my friends' opinions and the whole place not be so crowded that I can't stop for two seconds to look at something without getting in someone's way.

Well I’ve been meaning to go on a shopping trip, I’ve still got £75 worth of gift cards from my last birthday to spend, but I don’t imagine A+F will be on the agenda :S

Birdie out.

No comments:

Post a Comment